Headquarters in Bethel, CT (CEO location flexible – willingness to travel globally), Connecticut, United States
For nearly 75 years, SPE has been the leading technical society for the global plastics industry. With over 22,500 members from 84 countries and nearly 100 chapters, it serves a vibrant global community of professionals involved in the technical and commercial aspects of the plastics and polymer industry. The Society represents professionals at all stages in their career involved in the plastics field from students, young professionals to retired professionals.
Mission and Goals:
As the premier hub for technical information, training, networking and knowledge sharing for plastics, SPE strives to achieve the following:
- Serving the polymer and plastics industry around the globe as the most visible and prestigious technical society for plastics technology.
- Ensuring that SPE remains a valuable resource for all generations of professionals by employing new methods and technologies to facilitate information sharing and enhancing relationship management.
- Serving as the preferred supplier of engineering, scientific, and business knowledge required by the industry and SPE’s members.
- Sustaining thriving communities of individuals working in plastics technology around the globe by leveraging robust technology communications platforms, investing in next generation membership, and supporting the Society’s vibrant chapter network.
- Building financial and other resources needed to grow and sustain SPE’s operations on a global scale. SPE is poised for significant growth and impact as it continues to develop valuable services, events, and products for its members.
SPE consistently seeks to provide additional value to the industry and its members. Among its more recent innovations is the implementation of The Chain, a virtual professional networking and technology exchange platform. With major investments and upgrades to its core digital infrastructure, SPE now delivers its services to members through several mobile applications. Significant advances will continue to be made to events in order to offer an outstanding experience to attendees, including the renowned ANTEC event and 30 topical conferences around the globe.
Geared towards the further advancement of the industry, SPE is engaged with new innovative corporate services, which uses SPE’s broad network and knowledge base. Increased collaboration between SPE’s headquarters and chapters is a priority to ensure best practices are shared and new ideas emerge across the membership. Additionally, several recent external partnerships enable SPE to offer more benefits around the globe. In recent years SPE went through a reinvigoration of its brand to remain and become more attractive to the younger professionals. With several new initiatives for the next generation, SPE’s young professionals’ demographics are growing.
The SPE Foundation offers numerous scholarships to students who have demonstrated or expressed an interest in the plastics industry. Recipients generally are majoring in or taking courses that would be beneficial to a career in the plastics industry. This would include, plastics engineering, polymer science, chemistry, physics, chemical engineering, mechanical engineering, and industrial engineering. The SPE Foundation is led by volunteers who are passionate about making a significant impact for the profession and the industry it serves.
The CEO will be responsible for the effective leadership of SPE and the execution of its mission and goals. In collaboration with the Executive Committee, the CEO will assess and advance SPE’s 3-Year Operating Plan and ensure its execution, achieving specific organizational objectives and results domestically and globally.
The CEO will be a dynamic and visionary leader who brings strong leadership, management and critical thinking skills, with an inclusive dedicated focus to advancing the goals of the SPE membership. S/he will provide leadership for this $4 million and nearly 20 staff and set the organizational direction to meet the objectives set by the Executive Committee. Through his/her personal credibility, the CEO will play an important role in enhancing the organization’s effectiveness in serving its members and the plastics industry.
The successful candidate be responsible for the following:
- Ensure appropriate translation of its dynamic strategic plan into operational goals, milestones, and objectives. Communicate with the Executive Committee consistently on progress toward these objectives.
- Cultivate and foster strong volunteer engagement among existing and prospective members.
- Invest in next generation professionals to ensure a pipeline of new members and leaders for the organization.
- Represent the breadth and depth of the plastics engineering profession to its many stakeholders domestically and internationally, including the public, governmental bodies, financial supporters, allied industries, academia, and other professional societies and associations.
- Define and drive the execution of new value-added programs, events, services, and initiatives to meet the evolving needs of current and future members that support membership growth and engagement.
- In collaboration with the Executive Committee, build a revenue model designed to support SPE’s growth objectives and deliver value to its members and future members.
- Invest in technological advancements to continue providing “best in class” offerings for current and future members and foster collaboration with SPE’s chapters to share best practices.
- Support goals and objectives of the SPE Foundation.
- Attract, retain and inspire a motivated, entrepreneurial, results-oriented team committed to effectively execute SPE’s objectives. Lead staff leadership development, succession, and evaluation processes to support the functions, programs, and services of the Society.
- Establish objective performance metrics for programs, services, volunteer activities and initiatives of the Society, appropriately measure and interpret results, and assume responsibility for goal achievement.
- Maintain P&L responsibility for the organization. Establish budgets and allocate resources in collaboration with the Executive Committee and relevant operating councils to meet product, service, membership, financial, and other goals of the society.
YEAR ONE CRITICAL SUCCESS FACTORS
- Assess and update the strategic plan for SPE in conjunction with the Executive Committee, other SPE leaders, and staff to ensure a strong value proposition to the membership.
- Forge strong working relationships and communications with the Executive Committee, staff and other key SPE leaders, as well as key external stakeholders/partners to ensure strong engagement.
- Lead a smooth transition with the staff and foster a team-oriented, high performance organizational culture designed to effectively execute SPE’s strategy.
- Achieve progress on high priority items including development of new services, events and offerings designed to provide outstanding value to members, while generating new sustainable revenue streams.
The next SPE CEO will be a visionary and innovative leader with the following experience and qualifications:
- Outstanding leadership and general management skills, with a minimum of 10 years of related executive-level experience.
- Experience developing and implementing an effective strategic plan designed to accelerate an organization “to the next level”. Possesses both strategic and tactical acumen with a proven track record of innovation.
- Effective at working collaboratively and transparently with a Board, particularly one led by volunteers.
- A marketing/sales orientation and strong financial and business acumen.
- Experience and appreciation for working with a technical, innovation-oriented community.
- An understanding of relevant technology platforms and social media tools that will be value-add for the membership.
- Proven track record with full P&L responsibility for a complex organization with demonstrated ability to achieve positive financial results.
- Experience attracting, motivating, and retaining strong talent, and building and managing high-performing and results-oriented teams, comprised of both staff and volunteers. A commitment to a team approach to management, with strong coaching and mentoring skills.
- Possesses a strong executive presence and gravitas to represent the organization before various audiences, including both industry and academia in a credible manner.
- A global mindset and culturally savvy.
- An exceptional communicator with experience clearly articulating complex content to diverse stakeholders.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, including experience in building relationships across a wide global constituency.
- A track record for fostering collaborative working relationships across diverse communities including members, staff, peer groups, among others.
A bachelor’s degree required. An advanced degree in relevant fields is highly desirable.
A competitive executive level compensation package will be offered to attract outstanding candidates.
Korn/Ferry shall provide equal employment opportunity to all qualified candidates, and will refer candidates without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected basis.