At Ingersoll Rand we're passionate about inspiring progress around the world. We advance the quality of life by creating comfortable, sustainable and efficient environments. Our people and our family of brands—including Club Car®
, Ingersoll Rand®
, Thermo King®
, American Standard® Heating & Air Conditioning
- work together to enhance the quality and comfort of air in homes and buildings; transport and protect food and perishables; and increase industrial productivity and efficiency. We are a global business committed to a world of sustainable progress and enduring results. For more information, visit http://www.ingersollrand.com/
Ingersoll Rand is a diverse and inclusive environment. We are an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to hiring a diverse workforce; including individuals with disabilities and United States qualified protected veterans.
This position is for an experienced Plastics & Composites Engineer that will report to the Plastics Engineering team within the Materials & Chemistry Network of Excellence. This role will work across the Ingersoll Rand business units to support projects in the plastics/composites field related to new technology development, new product development, value engineering, and overall quality/reliability support. This job will require experience and knowledge in plastic and composite part design, material selection, processing, tooling design, failure analysis, joining/decorating experience and testing of polymer based materials. The location for this position is within the Club Car SBU offices located in the Augusta, GA area.
- Work as a member of the team to provide corporate wide support for new technology development projects, new product development projects, quality/reliability projects, and cost improvement programs that involve design and application of plastic and composite components for the business units of Ingersoll Rand.
- Interact directly with our internal business units and commodity group to thoroughly understand customer requirements in order to effectively contribute to new product development and support of quality, reliability, and cost reduction projects.
- Interact with raw material suppliers, molders, and mold builders to coordinate and manage the external responsibilities through the product development process.
- Insure that proper plastic part design principles are followed by the various business units, taking into consideration process, tooling, and material limitations. Work closely with manufacturing, supply chain management and suppliers to develop part designs, select manufacturing processes and materials, procure tooling, assist with validation/PPAP, and work with business unit engineering groups to release into production.
- Use appropriate analytical and test methods in designing parts, selecting appropriate manufacturing materials and processes, and writing test plans to ensure that the product meets or exceeds customer's requirements. Candidates should have experience with the full spectrum of thermoplastics, from commodity grades to specialized engineering grades, as well as thermosets and elastomers.
- Manage analysis of competitive materials technologies.
- Establish and manage technical and strategic relationships with outside partners and universities to coordinate and deliver new technologies and advancements in polymer based materials and processes for Ingersoll Rand products.
- Manages timelines for design, fabrication, and qualification of plastic/composite products.
- Facilitate technical design reviews as part of the product development process and facilitate design reviews with external suppliers for tooling and molding of plastic/composite products.
- Strong interpersonal skills, experience in project leadership and orientation in team concepts are essential for success in this position. Applicants must be capable of independent supervision and should have working knowledge of Pro/E, Mold Flow, Microsoft Office Software, and Project Management tools.
- Identify components that could be converted to a polymer based material to reduce weight, reduce cost, integration of parts, improve reliability, or simplify the manufacturing and assembly process.
- Support general efforts regarding manufacturability, standardization, field problem resolution, service parts, and technical assistance.
- Plastic part design, processing, and troubleshooting experience for the following processes – injection molding, blow molding, thermoforming, rotational molding, extrusion, compression molding (both thermoset & thermoplastic), DLFT, transfer molding, and all hybrid or subset types of these processes.