We are currently seeking a talented individual for the position of Engineer ll - lll, Civil/Transmission Engineering. The successful candidate will create engineering designs, construction drawing packages, and related specifications for projects in the assigned engineering group. Performs engineering studies, design calculations and evaluates alternative designs or processes related to, company facilities, land resources, sitting requirements, substations, communication towers, transmission lines, underground electrical systems and associated Civil, Structural and Transmission Standards. Specifies material required for assigned projects and assists in the evaluation of suppliers and products.
• Develops designs and evaluates possible alternatives to meet both major and minor substation, communication tower or transmission line >25kV project requirements. The primary design responsibilities encompass site preparation of the substation or pole location of the communication tower or transmission line, foundation design, steel support design, writing material specification and ordering various structures as needed. Works closely with the project manager on overall project management from inception to energizing.
• Develops detailed design specifications and standards appropriate for the use in compiling material lists, procurement activities for equipment, materials and service required for project completion.
• Evaluates, from an engineering standpoint, vendors, manufacturers, equipment and/or components available to meet assignment specifications and recommends awards that optimize cost and reliability.
• Provides budgetary estimates of projects for departmental or interdepartmental incorporation into the Capital Budget.
• Develops and monitors work progress on project schedules to assure proper coordination of events during the design, construction, testing and energizing phases of a project.
• Initiates job tasks (work orders) and tracks expenditures as may be required to complete Capital Budget project assignments.
• Leads formal and informal meetings concerning assigned projects and is able to communicate effectively with all levels of personnel both in the office and field crews.
• Assists with departmental and interdepartmental training to assure proper installation, operation and/or maintenance of substation or transmission equipment when requested.
• Assigns, directs and reviews the work of assigned engineers and/or other employees associated with an assignment. Consults on problems of a technical nature encountered during various work assignments.
• Provide forensic review of failed structure and soil erosion issues to provide technical guidance for rectification as a technical expert.
• Reports to the section Engineering Supervisor or Superintendent and performs other assignments as requested.
• This position may provide services to affiliates of the Company subject to the UNS Energy Code of Conduct and the related Policies and Procedures.