Watch our video and learn about our awesome Adams County culture! We are seeking a candidate to plan, organize, and supervise professional and technical engineering operations and staff or consultants for the Transportation Department. This includes development and/or review of roadway designs, utility plans, drainage reports, stormwater quality plans, performing bridge analysis and design computations, and other various related design elements associated with public transportation infrastructure and facilities. This position may also participate in the review of engineering submittals associated with public and private improvements within the county for compliance with applicable standards and regulations. This position will require structural engineering and detailing techniques, performing bridge inspections, writing bridge condition reports, and preparing bridge load rating computations. The types of projects include the design and detailing of bridges, walls, and box culverts for transportation projects. The successful candidate will prepare contract bid documents including final plans, specifications, and cost estimates for structural projects; visit project sites to perform bridge inspections, verify existing conditions during design, and provide construction support engineering; and coordinate with other disciplines within the transportation department including but not limited to survey, roadway, drainage, and planning.
EXAMPLES OF IMPORTANT AND ESSENTIAL DUTIES:
- Plan, prioritize, assign, and supervise professional and technical engineering services.
- Participate in the selection of professional and technical engineering staff; provide or coordinate staff training.
- Prepare various reports on transportation engineering operations and activities.
- Recommend and assist in the implementation of goals and objectives; establish schedules and methods for providing current development review and design engineering services; implement policies and procedures as directed.
- Oversee and participate in the preparation of plans, specifications, cost and quantity estimates, and bid documents for Transportation construction projects; oversee the planning, design, and construction of capital improvement projects.
- Review and prepare comments regarding proposed development cases.
- Participate in budget preparation and administration; prepare cost estimates for budget recommendations; monitor and control expenditures.
- Coordinate and prioritize design projects with other county departments and other relevant agencies.
- Manage consultant contracts for Transportation projects.
- Manage engineering design and construction contracts with outside consultants for public improvements including progress of the work, cost reports, and approval of payment for work accomplished.
- Oversee the maintenance of office records, maps, construction project documents, and related records.
- Attend Board of County Commissioners, Planning Commission, Board of Adjustment, and other public meetings.
- Resolve or justify controversial and complex technical problems.
- Answer questions and provide information to the public; investigate complaints and recommend corrective actions as necessary to resolve complaints.
- Ensure that proposed development and projects are in compliance with relevant laws and regulations.
- Assist in applications for federal, state, and local grant funding.
- Exercise professional engineering judgment in accordance with current accepted practice of civil engineering and appropriate laws, regulations, and codes.
- Prepare requests for proposals and participate in selecting consultants for assigned projects.
- Perform other related duties and responsibilities as required.
- Exercises direct supervision over staff.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Apply principles of supervision, training, and performance evaluation.
- Plan, organize, and supervise the work of professional and technical staff or consultants.
- Train and evaluate subordinate staff.
- Apply principles and practices of civil engineering and administration.
- Maintain up to date knowledge of pertinent Federal, state, and local laws, codes, and regulations including civil engineering laws and regulations.
- Apply principles and practices of roadway and drainage system design.
- Utilize terminology, methods, practices, and techniques used in technical civil engineering report preparation.
- Apply principles and practices of budget preparation and control.
- Maintain up to date knowledge of recent developments, current literature, and sources of information regarding civil engineering.
- Manage large and complex engineering projects, including the ability to manage multiple projects and priorities.
- Ensure project compliance with appropriate federal, state, and local rules, laws, and regulations.
- Conduct comprehensive engineering studies and develop appropriate recommendations.
- Prepare and maintain technical civil engineering records and prepare comprehensive reports.
- Develop, review, and modify civil engineering plans, designs, and specifications.
- Exercise professional engineering judgment to achieve results consistent with objectives.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Establish, maintain, and foster positive and harmonious working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Experience using structural analysis programs and bridge design software.