TITLE: SYSTEM SAFETY & SECURITY ADMINISTRATOR GRADE: Y [SALARY RANGE $81,158 THRU $134,722] FLSA STATUS: EXEMPT [PROFESSIONAL]
Reports to the Chief Safety, Security & Compliance Officer. This position supports agency-wide safety and security activities, policy development, data collection and analysis and safety and security enforcement and training.
SCOPE OF DUTIES:
• Assist supervisor and senior management’s effort to continue to imbue a positive safety culture across the enterprise by recommending, developing, initiating and managing safety and security projects respectively targeted to a wide array of diverse internal and external stakeholders to ensure VRE continues to meet and exceed its goals and expectations for continuous improvement.
• Manage VRE’s infrastructure protection program; including the access control system, surveillance camera system and third-party security guard contracts.
• Manage VRE’s strong relationship with regional first responders; including representing VRE on appropriate regional committees (MWCOG’s Passenger Rail Safety Subcommittee and RESF-1) and the direct administration and management of VRE’s award winning Passenger Train Emergency Preparedness Program for first responders.
• Assist the department’s efforts to ensure organizational awareness and compliance with VRE’s System Safety Program Plan through training events, compliance reviews with department managers and the recommendation of policy or program enhancements to further facilitate compliance.
• Manage VRE’s engagement with relevant components of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), including TSA and the Federal Air Marshalls. This position serves as VRE’s primary rail security coordinator per 49 CFR 1580.101.
• Participates in and provides support as needed for special events such as Surveys, Operation Life Saver Trains, Manassas Rail Festival, Clifton Day, Meet the Managements and service disruptions.
• Perform other related duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Above all, the successful candidate must possess and be capable of clearly articulating a commitment to safety.
• Must be a self-starter with an acute ability to identify areas of need and bring work to successful completion.
• Must demonstrate superb written and oral communication skills and demonstrate a proven ability to make good decisions, present to audiences of any size and possess an acumen for statistical and trends analysis.
• Ability to accurately organize and maintain paper documents and electronic files.
• Must have knowledge of federal, state, and local transportation laws, regulations, guidelines and practices.
• Must be able to perform work independently and manage several projects at one time with a sense of urgency and cost control while dealing effectively with people in a service oriented environment.
• Must be able to design training materials and to conduct and coordinate staff training sessions.
• Familiarity with customer service principles and ability to respond courteously to customer needs. Ability to remain calm during stressful events and to make decisions in the best interest of the passenger, VRE, and the railroads.
• Must be willing and capable of working beyond typical business hours, including nights, weekends, holidays and in all types of weather.
• Must be capable of prolonged standing and exposure to uneven terrain.
• Must also be able to safely mount and dismount rail equipment as well as push, pull, and lift weights up to 50 lbs.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
• Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in a related field is required, along with at least 4-7 years’ experience in system safety and security, rail transportation, or contract/project management; an advanced degree is highly preferred.
• Knowledge of railroad operating rules, FRA regulations and FTA Transit Safety and Security Certification is highly recommended.
• Must attain/renew Roadway Worker Protection and Rules Certifications on CSX, NS, and Amtrak Railroads within one year of start date.
• Must possess advanced skills in MS Office products, particularly Excel.
• Must be capable and comfortable in public speaking engagements
• Must possess a valid driver’s license, current auto insurance and maintain a good driving record at all times during employment with VRE.
• Must be able to work the flexible hours demanded by a transit operation environment.
The statements in this job description are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by incumbent(s) assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Veterans are encouraged to apply. Background checks are performed on all new employees. No inquiring phone calls will be accepted in response to this ad. Qualified candidates interested in applying should submit by e-mail or mail a professional styled cover letter, resume, salary history and three confidential references (to include their address, phone & e-mail) by close of business, July 13, 2018, to:
Human Resources Administrator 1500 King St. Suite 202 Alexandria, VA 22314 E-mail: email@example.com
About Virginia Railway Express
Commuter Rail Operation with 51administrative staff members