Berkeley Lab is seeking a Chief of Projects & Construction to lead the efforts of bringing the organization’s conventional construction and project management into the top tier of Department of Energy/Office of Science (DOE/SC) labs by achieving sustained, superior performance in support of world-class science.
Lawrence Berkeley National Lab was founded in 1931 by Ernest Lawrence. The Lab is located above the University of California, Berkeley Campus on a 202 acre site housing over 2 million Square feet of state of the art scientific centers and support facilities. Thirteen Nobel Prizes have been associated with Berkeley Lab.
Since the Lab’s mission crosses over into many different sciences, buildings range from supercomputing facilities, genetic sequences labs, laser labs,microscope facilities, office complexes, to support facilities such as a hotel, cafeteria, fire station and many more.The current project portfolio varies, but typically has more than one capital project (ranging from $50M-$140M), several mid-sized projects (ranging from $8M-$10M), and approximately 100 small projects (ranging from several hundred thousand dollars to $4M) per year.
How to Apply:
Apply directly online at http://126.96.36.199/counter.php?id=135403 and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
The Chief of Projects & Construction will:
• Provide leadership in conventional civil project and construction management and execution at Berkeley Lab. This includes strategic oversight, planning, budgeting and management of Berkeley Lab’s portfolio of construction (capital and small) projects, both long short-term and long-term.
• Proactively build and sustain partnerships and ensure alignment of action, project delivery and communications to all external and internal stakeholders. Ensure that communications are transparent, relevant and current.
• Ensure seamlessly integrated project planning and execution to maximize project value and impact. Analyze the best project delivery methods internal and external to the Lab, including negotiated contracts, design build, design bid build, and other approaches.
• Lead and manage a team of approximately 35 staff, providing guidance and counsel for effectively executing capital and small projects that will optimally support the Lab’s scientific programs and requirements. This includes hiring and supervising staff at various levels and developing, coaching and managing for high performance.
• Oversee planning and accountability for annual, short-term, and long-term construction project budgets, expenditures and staffing plans.
• Provide comprehensive strategic vision, oversight and leadership of the Laboratory’s construction management and execution, including the improvement and maintenance of key processes, procedures, tools, metrics and systems for project delivery. Ensure management systems for capital projects are efficient and effective.
• May serve on Laboratory cross-functional or strategy teams that improve institutional management and development.
The Chief of Projects & Construction is a proven leader that is results driven, makes critical decisions using data and sound judgement, is fiscally responsible and serves in the best interest of the Lab community, University of California and Department of Energy - Office of Science. The Chief of Projects & Construction promotes values of diversity, equity and inclusion, as well as safety and security.