Provide critical geotechnical engineering analysis and input to lead and perform technical reviews, mitigate potential design risk, identify and solve construction challenges, and generate optimization opportunities for pursuit and execution of design-build and design-bid-build system projects.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
· Leads and performs advanced technical reviews of projects to assess constructability, examine design details, perform quantity takeoffs, and recommend construction sequencing and logistics.
· Review and evaluate project specific designs, program intent, contractual obligations, division of responsibilities, and deliverables.
· Review and assess project documentation such as geotechnical engineering reports, seismic hazard reports, drawings, basis of design documents, specifications, calculations, and shop drawings.
· Analyze elements of the subsurface investigations, geotechnical recommendations, foundation systems, and temporary construction systems (excavation support, dewatering, underpinning, etc.) developed to date, establish sufficiency of design, and identify means of optimizing design and construction components.
· Leads development of potential solutions to the design/construction team and presents for design optimization, risk management challenges, and constructability improvements.
· Provide review and guidance for project non-conformances and operations issues.
· Documents geotechnical review activities in formal report formats, technical memoranda, Bluebeam Studio sessions, and spreadsheet-based comment lists.
· Present all findings to project team and track implementation into overall design, follows major elements into construction.
· Establish constructive and effective relationships with internal and external project team members, subcontractors, and clients to facilitate understanding and influence design and project development.
· Partners with linked design disciplines, e.g. structural, architecture, code-compliance, building envelope and façade, MEFP, vertical transportation, acoustics, and fire to improve the coordination of design concepts.
· Develop cost proposals and scope of work for requested deliverables, develop appropriate estimate of hours for tasks.
· Weekly assembly of summary of activities and workload, identify bandwidth of staff hour availability.
· Leads project-specific team of other specialists including other disciplines as required.
· Business Development responsibilities, including meeting with design teams, developers, and Business Units to identify our abilities for potential opportunities.
· May perform other duties as necessary or assigned
M.S. in Civil Engineering (Geotechnical) with a minimum of fifteen years of industry experience as a practicing Geotechnical Engineer; must be licensed as a Professional Engineer. Must have the ability to think and write in a highly structured manner while also having the required creativity to develop specialized solutions and anticipating potential challenges and opportunities. Must have demonstrated experience leading small to moderately sized teams of geotechnical engineers and managing projects. Enjoy working in an interdisciplinary team environment. Must have design experience on a diverse array of projects through all phases of design and construction. Experience with leading peer reviews and/or due diligence studies. Projects will be located throughout the U.S. and approximately 25% travel is expected. Experience with using design software for geotechnical analysis (LPILE, Slide7, Settle3D, Plaxis2D, ShoringSuite, CPe-IT, MathCAD, etc.), general collaboration software (i.e. Bluebeam Studio) and operation of 3D and BIM software (e.g. Navisworks, AutoCAD, Revit, Rhino, SketchUp). Experience with U.S. building design codes and material specific standards. Good understanding of structural mechanics and structural engineering principles is required. Able to effectively and clearly communicate in a professional environment via verbal and written means. Knowledge of geotechnical and foundation system costs and procurement processes. Continued development of expertise and awareness of innovations in the industry; demonstrable expertise in one or more specific types of geotechnical analysis or major construction techniques (e.g. numerical analysis, seismic hazard analysis, specialty foundations, ground improvement, etc.). Experience with seismic hazard analysis and construction vibrations is a big plus.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Performance of the required duties will require physical ability to climb permanent and temporary stairs, passenger use of construction personnel hoists, ability to climb ladders and negotiate work areas under construction. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Performing this job requires use of hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls, sit, talk and hear, stand, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. Employee must occasionally lift and/or move heavy weight.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works on-site at the construction work site where the employee is exposed to moving mechanical parts; high precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; outside weather conditions and risk of electrical shock. The noise in these work environments is usually moderate to very loud.
Turner is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Minorities/Females/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Internal Number: req6123
About Turner Construction Company
Turner is a North America-based, international construction services company and is a leading builder in diverse market segments. The company has earned recognition for undertaking large, complex projects, fostering innovation, embracing emerging technologies, and making a difference for their clients, employees and community.
With a staff of 10,000 employees, the company completes $12 billion of construction on 1,500 projects each year. Turner offers clients the accessibility and support of a local firm with the stability and resources of a multi-national organization.